Deposition: Small Evaporator (Microfab Shop only)
Main content start
Based on an extensively modified Veeco Instruments basic pumping station.
- Typical runs pumped to mid 10^-7 Torr pressure range.
- 4-pocket Airco Temescal e-gun.
- CV-8 Airco Temescal power supply, 10KV, .8 amps maximum emission current.
- Custom “Super Fine” emission current control for ultra fine tuning of emission current.
- Inficon quartz crystal thickness monitor, with .01 Angstrom rate resolution.
- Granville Phillips ion gauge, thermocouple gauges.
- Varian Diffusion Pump.
- Water-Cooled Chevron Baffle.
- Liquid Nitrogen Cold Trap.
- VAT Gate Valve.
- Bake-able Molecular Sieve in Fore-Line.
- Baratron capacitive manometer gauge to monitor mechanical pump.
- Heated substrate holder (ambient to 269C) can do single 4”, two 3” wafers, or various smaller pieces.
- Typical source to substrate distance 10-11” (25.4cm to 27.94cm), but in special circumstances, as close as 7” to as far as 16”.
- Can accommodate numerous sizes and types of substrates, including, but not limited to:
- Single 6” wafer
- Up to two 4” wafers
- 4” and 5” squares (mask blanks)
- Microscope slides and cover slips of all sizes
- Up to five 3” wafers
- Up to nine 2” wafers
- Glass fibers
- Odd shaped substrates
- Small chips
- PZT transducers
- Thin Polymer Films (PET, Kapton, etc.)
- Shadow-masked substrates
- Chips Kapton-taped, or carbon-taped, to slides or carrier wafers
- Samples mounted using Apiezon W high vacuum wax
- Various sample holder assemblies
Can mount samples at various angles.
With extra set up time, can do in-situ tilt changes of samples during run with 180-degree swing.
I will help with design or design/fabrication of specialized tooling for odd or unusual substrates.
List of evaporation sources, with typical thickness ranges
(inquire about atypical thicknesses or materials not listed):
|Material||Typical Thickness Range [A]||Notes|
|Gold||0-10,000||extra materials usage charge|
|Indium Tin Oxide||0-500||requires 320C anneal afterwards to turn clear|
|Magnesium Fluoride||0-250||done as a protective overcoat over fresh mirror coating|
|Silicon Monoxide||0-250||done as a protective overcoat over fresh mirror coating|
To have evaporations done for you as a service on this evaporator, you need to follow each of these steps in the order as listed here:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- Arrange for a consultation by contacting Tom Carver.