EBL: Electron Beam Lithography
The goal of the Nanopatterning Cleanroom is to provide researchers access to a state-of-the-art facility to meet their nano-scale fabrication challenges. Therefore, e-beam lithography is at the heart of our NPC user facility as the technology provides versatile, effective and economic solutions. NPC offers three e-beam lithography systems that serve varying needs with the main difference being the accelerating voltages: 100kV JEOL 6300FS, 10-50kV Raith Voyager (Beginning Fall 2019), and 1-30kV FEI Nova NanoSEM + Nabity.
In order to become a qualified user of any of the EBL tools, you need to follow each of these steps in the order as listed here:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- Complete Axess STARS EHS-2470-WEB: COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices.
- Complete the process to become a Nanopatterning Cleanroom user.
- Review the Resources section below for an introduction to EBL and its capabilities.
- Pass (80%) a 10-question quiz that reviews e-beam lithography basics and safety: E-beam Lithography Review Quiz.
- Complete the EBL New User Intake Form (second part of the quiz above).
- Sign up for an open slot on the EBL Training Calendar (sent to you by email after completing the New User Intake Form).
Each EBL system requires its own hands-on training session because the training is based on operating a specified tool. The training is not a primer to nanofabrication. Although help is always available, you are expected to have an adequate understanding of nanofabrication principles and your processing needs. Please see the Resources section below.
Note: Consider training for the different equipment often associated with e-beam lithography processing. SNSF Nanopatterning Cleanroom has wet benches, a SEM, RIE and evaporator. SNSF Flexible Cleanroom offers a sputtering tool and an ion mill.