Getting Started and Training Information
Main content start
To gain independent access to SMF equipment, you will need to be a qualified member first. Carefully read and follow each of these steps below:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- IMPORTANT: Send Dr. Jeffrey Tok an e-mail to request to be a SMF member. Detailed instructions and checklist will be then send to you as how to complete all the necessary steps.
- Sign up for the the SMF Mailing List. Important operational messages are disseminated via the SMF mailing list.
- Register for each of the equipment mailing list that you intend to access. Updates on each equipment will be disseminated only through the equipment’s mailing list, e.g. maintenance, damages/down time etc. The link to sign-up for the equipment list is listed in each of the equipment’s website.
- For undergraduate student (UGs) intending to work independently in SMF: UG can work alone only if their advisor consent and take full responsibility for your safety in SMF. Please have your advisor send Jeffrey Tok the following if your UG student needs to have independent access to SMF:
"I am aware that [student's name] will have independent access to SMF and I will take full responsibility for this student's safety while working in SMF."
Independent equipment access will be granted only after the above was sent to Jeffrey Tok.
- Review our policy for Failure To Disable Tools After Usage. Remember that you are responsible for all your logged in duration. Request for adjustment, e.g. encountered equipment malfunction/failure, should be made before the end of each month, and final decision to make an adjustment is made by lab management.
- Request for equipment-specific training.
- Due to COVID-19, certain in-person SMF equipment training sessions are suspended. Instead, we have implemented equipment online videos and the videos can be accessed via the equipment webpage.
- We highly suggest that new user arrange with the superuser to have a live online zoom session when working on the equipment for the first time.