EBL/SEM: FEI Nova NanoSEM 450 Scanning Electron Microscope
The FEI Nova NanoSEM line of SEMs provides high-quality nanoscale research tools for a variety of applications that involve sample characterization, analysis, nanoprototyping, and S/TEM sample preparation. More samples, including the most non-conducting or contaminating materials, can equally be characterized or analyzed in the Nova NanoSEM 50 series, using its unique low vacuum capabilities. Characterization in low vacuum extends all the way up to ultra-high resolution, thanks to FEI's Helix detector technology. Small and large samples can easily be accommodated inside the large chamber, on the Nova NanoSEM's high precision, high stability stages. In addition, a high definition camera and a correlative navigation unit help to find and move to the right region of interest in no time. For nanoprototyping, the Nova NanoSEM 50 series offers the most extensive set of integrated tools, including a 16-bit on-board digital pattern generator and dedicated patterning software, a high speed electrostatic beam blanker and gas injection systems for direct electron beam writing of nanostructures. The Nova NanoSEM 450's sample stage features a 100 x 100 mm range of movement with holders for small pieces up to 4 inch wafers.
In order to become a qualified user of the FEI Nova NanoSEM, you need to follow each of these steps in the order as listed here:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- Complete Axess STARS EHS-2470-WEB: COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices.
- Complete the process to become a Nanopatterning Cleanroom user.
- Review the Resources section below for an introduction to SEM and its capabilities.
- Pass (80%) a quiz that reviews SEM basics and safety: SEM Review Quiz. Note: This quiz is different than the one in the edX SEM Quiz, so please use this link.
- Complete the SEM New User Intake Form (second part of the quiz above).
- Record your name and email down on the SEM Training Calendar (sent to you by email after completing the New User Intake Form).
- Staff will reach out to schedule a one-on-one in-person training session. Training will be done following proper social distancing guidelines.
- If the SEM Staff Trainer recommends the user to complete an additional training session, a second supervised session will be required before the user will be qualified.
- For Nabity E-Beam Lithography on the Nova NanoSEM:
- The SEM training is a prerequisite to the Nabity e-beam lithography training. After completing the Nova NanoSEM training, see the Getting Started and Training Information section on the EBL webpage.
EBL specific to SNSF Nanopatterning Cleanroom:
E-Beam Lithography – Getting Started and Training Information
Nabity – Standard Operating Procedure
Online SEM edX course, from Nano@Stanford. The SEM module is located under Microscopy. Note: Do not take the quiz in the module, take the quiz for NPC in the link above.