Deposition: Oerlikon Leybold Univex 400 RF/DC Sputter Station
The Oerlikon Leybold Univex 400 RF/DC Sputter Station is a tool used for the deposition of both metal and dielectric films using three Angstrom Sciences 3” magnetron sputter guns configured in the “sputter down” configuration. Sputtering is a process wherein an argon plasma is generated, and charged argon ions are accelerated towards the target to kinetically knock target material off in random directions towards the substrate. Sputtering is a slightly conformal coating method when compared to e-beam evaporation, meaning some material will wind up depositing on the vertical sidewalls of features. But with a small target, and a fairly long distance between the target and the substrate, the majority of the deposition is on the flat horizontal faces. The rotation of the target and the angled sputter guns allows for good film thickness uniformity across a full 4” wafer.
- A rotating heated/cooled substrate mounting stage with a temperature range of ambient to 350C.
- DC sputtering on targets 1 and 2 (selectable)
- RF sputtering on target 3
- RF/DC co-sputtering capable (one RF gun and one DC gun running simultaneously)
- Custom tooling allowing for a wide variety of sizes and shapes of substrates.
- Loading through front-opening chamber door for easy access to substrates and targets.
- Manual or Automatic Operation.
- 99.999% Ultra Pure Argon.
- Turbo pumped for fast pump-down.
At the moment we have these sputter sources, which have already been characterized: Ti, Cr, Cu, Al, SiO2, and Al2O3.
We will be adding new targets as necessary. If you want to try something special, please contact me first for details on target ordering.
We allow gold (Au) in the chamber.
You can be trained to operate the machine yourself (several hours of training), or you can submit sputtering jobs through Tom Carver via the Microfab Shop.
In order to become a qualified user of the Oerlikon Leybold Sputter Station, you need to follow each of these steps in the order as listed here:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- Complete the SNSF COVID-19 Authorization protocol and receive notification of authorization.
- Complete the process to become a Flexible Cleanroom user.
- Arrange for training by contacting Tom Carver.
Sputter Target Change Instruction
Note: This video on target changing is meant as a supplement to actual hands-on training. Do not attempt to change targets without receiving formal hands on training and approval.