Nanopatterning Cleanroom (NPC)
The Nanopatterning Cleanroom (NPC) is an approximately 2000 square feet cleanroom facility and hosts the Raith EBPG 5200+ and Voyager EBL systems, FEI Nova NanoSEM, KJL evaporator, Oxford reactive ion etcher, wet benches, optical microscopes and other supporting equipment. The cleanroom is located in the basement of the Spilker Building. Lab users pay a daily fee when they want to access the lab. The fee is to cover costs such as cleanroom supplies, repairs and maintenance of equipment, gases, chemicals, cleanroom apparel, etc.
The following lists equipment available inside the cleanroom:
- EBL: Raith EBPG 5200+
- EBL: Raith VOYAGER
- EBL: GenISys BEAMER Software
- EBL: GenISys Tracer Software
- EBL: GenISys ProSEM Software
- SEM: FEI Nova SEM
- Deposition: KJL Evaporator
- Etch: Oxford PlasmaPro 80 RIE
- Profilometer: Dektak XT-S Stylus Profiler
- Reflectometry: Filmetrics F40
- Microscopy: Keyence VK‐X 3D Laser Confocal
- Microscopy: Nikon LV100ND
- Microscopy: Olympus
- Benches: Acid, Base, Solvent, Spinner
- Spinner: Headway Research
- Sonicator Bath
- Digital Scale
- Deposition: Cressington 108 Auto Sputter Coater
- UV: Samco UV Ozone Cleaner
- Ellipsometry: Film Sense FS-1 Multi-Wavelength Ellipsometer
- Scribing: LatticeGear FlipScribe
- Vacuum Sealer
In order to become a qualified user of the Nanopatterning Cleanroom, you need to follow each of these steps in the order as listed here:
- Complete the process to become a lab member of SNSF and follow the instructions to activate a Badger account.
- Review the following documents:
- Pass (100%) a quiz that reviews cleanroom safety and policies: Nanopatterning Cleanroom Safety Quiz
- Complete the Nanopatterning Cleanroom New User Intake Form (second part of the quiz above).
- Complete steps 1-4 in Getting Started and Training Information for the Wet Benches.
- Watch the Nanopatterning Cleanroom Virtual Lab Safety Tour video.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time for a final in-person check-off meeting to walk through the cleanroom and go over any questions you have before granting you access to the cleanroom.
- If a remote check-off meeting would be preferred, we can accommodate, but an in-person walk through is strongly recommended.
- Note: After the final check-off meeting, you will be granted card key access. Only after you have full card key access to the lab, are you allowed to enter the lab and schedule training on the tools.
- After the check-off meeting, staff will email you to follow-up with a few forms you will need to complete, certifying that you will adhere to all the policies and guidelines as a lab member.
- Please see the respective tool webpages for training information.
- Note: Access to wet benches require a separate wet bench training. See steps 6 and 7 in Getting Started and Training Information for the Wet Benches for more details.
Current, experienced Nanopatterning Cleanroom labmember (users who have completed the lab safety tour) can request for permission to bring a visitor (individuals who have not completed the lab safety tour and been granted access to the Nanopatterning Cleanroom) into the cleanroom with them. If permission is granted, the NPC labmember will be responsible for the visitor’s safety and ensure that they follow all SNSF and NPC policies.
Both the visitor and the NPC labmember must jointly fill out the Visitor Request Form. Staff will email both the visitor and the NPC user notifying them on whether or not permission has been granted to the visitor to enter the cleanroom with their NPC labmember escort. It is recommended to submit the form at least a day in advance to allow time for staff to review the request.